Not for sympathy or pain, but to glorify Him

Monday, May 9, 2011

Hopeless

There is an evil word that is forever being whispered in my ear.  Hopeless.  I know better than to listen to this quiet voice, but sometimes my humanity takes the reins and listens.  I hear it often.  And when you hear something for long enough, you begin to believe it.  Right?
Lately, I've been hearing that word quite a bit.  I have so much on my proverbial plate, lately, that it's easy for the liar to tell me how hopeless it is and how useless I am in all these current situations.  It is really wearing me out.  I feel like I'm running on a treadmill and getting nowhere fast.   And my esteem is taking quite a beating too. 
How can I possibly be a good mother with all the other "stuff" I've committed to?  How dare I commit to all these things, when I'm so devoted to raising my children?  What kind of wife doesn't give more attention to her husband?  How dare I rely on him so much right now? How am I supposed to be a good sister, daughter, and friend when I can't even handle all the stuff in my life right now?  Who do I think I am?
Well, let's not even go there.  Along with helpless, the lies just continue to build.  All the things wrong with me seem to be magnified when life is feeling hopeless.  Can you see how this lie snowballs?
This liar who whispers to me tries to remind me how often my life has felt hopeless.  Unfortunately for this liar, it tends to work against him.  Because when I look back on all the times my life has seemed hopeless....it has NEVER ended like that.  In fact, it has always ended with the exact opposite; Hope.
I look back at a hopeless situation from my childhood.  Turned out just fine, and those involved continue to heal daily.  I look back at our hopeless situation with our educations (Jason and mine), and that turned out with two, separate degrees.  I remember the hopelessness of an extremely broken marriage.  From the outside looking in, there was truly no hope.  The world wrote our marriage off.  But here we are, years later, with the hope of two more beautiful siblings for our son and a far stronger marriage than we ever thought possible.  I look at our hopeless idolizing of money, and although we struggle without, our view of money and our money management has changed drastically for the better.  I look back at the hopeless feeling of a child with a heart condition.  Yet this child is full of hope and will live a long, healthy life. I am reminded of the hopeless feeling of sick grandparents.  But am filled with comfort and joy in knowing they are no longer in pain and are Home.  I remember the hopeless feeling of losing a family business and watching two of the dearest men in my life struggle.  Yet, daily, I am watching these men grow stronger and heal from their loss; hope.  I could go on and on....
But here I am.  And I feel like I am facing a hopeless situation.  I know the truth is there is Hope.  I know it will all turn out.   I know the winning pattern of my life will continue.  But when you are in it, the liar whispers and it takes all my strength not to listen.

1 comment:

  1. Your post reminds me a lot of a song by one of my favorite artists, Sara Groves. It's called Looks Like it Might Be Hope. I think it would encourage you to listen to it...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete