Not for sympathy or pain, but to glorify Him

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Paralyzed - Straight from my Journal (sort of...)

October 10, 2011

I'm reading in the book of Matthew this morning.  It's the gospel I had really been studying a few months ago and then got called to other parts of the Word.  This morning I was drawn back.  I'm in chapters 8-9 today.  Something really caught my attention - as if Jesus was speaking right to me.  (This is a passage I always pause at, but today it really struck me.)

Matthew 9:2-8 is the story of Jesus healing the paralytic.  Jesus' words to the witnesses always makes me pause and today they seem to be spoken to me.
Jesus: "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."
Scribes: "This man blasphemes."
Jesus: "Why are you thinking evil in your hearts? Which is easier to say, 'Your sins are forgiven' or to say 'Get up and walk?' But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" - then He said to the paralytic, "Get up, take your bed and go home."
...when the crowds saw this, they were awestruck, and glorified God,...

In Luke 5:18-26
v. 22 But Jesus, aware of their reasonings, answered and said to them, "Why are you reasoning in your hearts? Which is easier to say, 'Your sins have been forgiven you,' or to say 'Get up and walk'?"
...(the paralytic) went home glorifying God.
v. 26 They were all struck with astonishment and began glorifying God; and they were filled with fear saying, "We have seen remarkable things today."

In Mark 2:1-12
v. 2  And many were gathered together, so that there was no longer room, not even near the door; and He was speaking the word to them.  And they came, bringing Him a paralytic, carried by four men.  Being unable to get to Him because of the crowd, they removed the roof above Him; and when they had dug an opening, they let down the pallet on which the paralytic was lying.
And Jesus, seeing their faith said to the paralytic, "Son your sins are forgiven."
But some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, "Why does this man speak that way?  He is blaspheming; who can forgive sins but God alone?"
Immediately Jesus, aware in His spirit that they were reasoning that way within themselves, said to them, "Why are you reasoning about these things in your hearts?  Which is easier to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven'; or to say, 'Get up, and pick up your pallet and walk'?  But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" - He said to the paralytic, "I say to you, get up, pick up your pallet and go home."
And he got up and immediately picked up the pallet and went out in the sight of everyone, so that they were all amazed and were glorifying God, saying "We never have seen anything like this."

In our season of waiting, I feel like The Lord is saying to me, "Which takes more faith and glorifies Me more?
-'I will heal you and restore this...trust Me'?
or
-'Here's a job'?"

God has authority to do both.  But one requires far more faith. God could have gotten us out of this season long ago.  He is God.  But that wouldn't have grown Jason and I.  It wouldn't have required a strengthening of faith.  And no one would have been watching us to see how God will heal this. 

And as I was writing this story from the three different gospels, I was stretched even further.
For some reason we assume God's will for our lives will be easy.  And while it certainly is 'easier' than living outside of His will, no one said it's 'easy.'  The whole story of digging through the roof to lower a paralytic into a crowd is not an 'easy' act of faith.  Imagine carrying a grown man, on a stretcher, through dusty, crowded streets to see Jesus.  When you get there, the place is packed; you can't even get yourself through the door, let alone a stretcher.  Most guys would have looked at each other, over the stretcher, given the 'oh well' nod and turned around to go home.  Not these men of faith.  They decided to climb up on the thatch roof, WHILE CARRYING A STRETCHER!!!  Then they dig through the roof, somehow lower the man down (I'm assuming with rope someone had to go find somewhere), and hope that they could get him near Jesus.  I'm sure this was no easy task.  But they had faith.  It must have taken hours, but they knew if they were patient they could make this work and they had faith that Jesus would heal their friend.  And we're not talking about healing a scrape or bruise or headache.  No.  These men were asking the Son of Man to restore a PARALYTIC!  That takes great faith. 

Although not the same, waiting for God to take us out of this season in our family is not an 'easy' act of faith.

In both Luke and Mark, people were "reasoning" in their own minds and hearts.  And Jesus asked them, "Why are you reasoning in your hearts?" Luke 5:22/Mark 2:8  Jesus would say this to me.  "Christie, why are you trying to reason all of this in your heart?"  My reasoning falls short as a human and can only see the obvious, in-front-of-my-eyes, way of doing things.  Sure, God could just give Jason a job.  But by saying, "Trust Me," there is greater faith and non-human reasoning involved.  All three passages speak of God's authority to work out His will - and He does.  Only God has the power and right to heal our situation.

When I look at the symbolism that further ties this story to our life, I am filled with joy and hope.  The paralytic man was not alone.  He was "carried by four men." (Mark 2:3)  Throughout all seasons of my life, and especially those that require great faith, I have never been alone.  Obviously, God has always been with me.  But He has always placed friends and family and fellowship around me.  This season is no exception.  And these people often carry me when I am too weak and paralyzed to walk on my own.  Praise God for those who "carry our pallets!"

And finally, I am extremely excited by the last part of this chapter of the story.  Jesus says, "I say to you, get up, pick up your pallet and go home." (Mark 2:11)  And when the man immediately did this, both he and all those who witnessed this were glorifying God!

God will say "It's done.  Your sins are forgiven.  You are healed.  Take your things and go to your (new) home."  So much of this season has left me feeling paralyzed.  But God will use His authority to say, "Get up, pick up your pallet and go home."  He will say this to Jason and I.  And when He does, others will see this chapter in the story and will glorify Him with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment